[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg (almost) using SVG theme

A. Sopicki nangkar at gmx.info
Tue Aug 22 07:39:50 CEST 2006

>  See a preliminar screenshot at
>
> http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/kmahjongg_svg.png
The SVG version is much better than the old one.

> However, there is a decision to be made. Would we still support the
> older tilesets, unmodified? Supporting the backgrounds is easy, we could
> still accept any png, jpg or svg file, with the option to tile or scale
> accordingly. The screenshot above shows a SVG background, btw. Custom
> layouts will also still be supported without modification.
>
> But there are some issues supporting the older tileset files as they
> are, specially because they assume a fixed tile size. They also do not
> support resizing easily, since the code uses a fixed color for
> transparency, and as a consequence the existing tileset graphics do not
> use antialias. We can of course compose first and then scale. Tiles will
> look crappy, however. The code that generates shadows is very good, but
> it is not very flexible, so it is difficult to adapt it to use tiles
> with round corners for example, or for tiles of different proportions.

If a compatibility mode is not an option because of complexity I would
vote for SVG only. KDE4 will bring some major changes so I think it's ok
to break backwards compatibility for KMahjongg. If someone needs his
very special tileset he can still use the old version of KMahjongg.

Greetz,

Alex