[Kde-games-devel] Using SVN in kdegames

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Fri Aug 11 16:19:44 CEST 2006

Alle 15:58, venerdì 11 agosto 2006, Ian Wadham ha scritto:
> I have an account (from CVS days) but have not yet used it
> with SVN and am having trouble working out what to do.
> I guess I never really understood the structure of the
> kdegames module, so I'm wondering exactly what I have
> to do (in SVN) to check out my game.  I used to use
> pserver and a password.  I've read all the docs in the
> KDE Developers' area and the Red Bean book on SVN,
> but I am still confused and I'm worried about making some
> silly mistake.  Specifically ...

If you want to compile kde4, the following url might be useful for you:
http://developer.kde.org/build/trunk.html

> 1. Is https: the correct protocol prefix for me?

If you have an account with password, yes.
If you have an account with gpg key, then you must use http+ssh as protocol.

> 2. Do I have to give the full URL with *every* command?

No, once you checkout a part of svn, then every subdirectory can perform
operation without the full url. Eg (for me):
$ svn co https://pino@svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdegames/ -N
$ cd kdegames
$ svn up libkdegames

> 3. Do I have to check out the *whole* of kdegames, or
>     can I do:
>        svn co -N https://ianw@svn.kde.org/home/trunk/KDE/kdegames
>        cd kdegames
>        svn co libkdegames
>        svn co mygame

It's ok.
If you checkout a part of a module, remember to comment with a sharp ('#') the
lines like 'add_subdirectory' for the unchecked out modules in the
CMakeLists.txt of the module.

> 4. If I have to check out all of kdegames, do I have to keep running
>     "svn update" on the whole thing and re-compiling all of it every
>     time I am ready to commit a one-line change?

You can recompile only from the subdirectory of the game. Also the commit can
be done inside the source directory of the game.

> 5. When I do a commit, can I do:
>        cd kdegames/mygame (or even cd kdegames/mygame/src)
>        svn update
>        # Check for conflicts, compilation problems, etc.
>        svn commit -m "Description of changes"

Of course.

> 6. If so, does SVN somehow "know" what URL to use and that
>     it requires a password from me?

less .kde/entries for every subdirectory under svn control.

> 7. I have discovered a bug in "mygame" (KDE 3 version).  Should
>     I report it to bugzilla and get a number assigned, then put that # in
>     my -m message?  Or should I just fix the bug without reporting it?

If you just discover a bug not yet reported, you don't need to reporting it
and then close it. Just say in the commit message that you fixed a bug about
foo bar.

> 8. I understand that I will have to check out and commit the KDE3.5
>     branch of "mygame", when fixing the bug, but what is the proper
>     method (SVN commands) to ensure that TRUNK gets the same fix?
>     I presume there is something better than just hand-editing both
>     versions of "mygame".

You could fix the bug in kde 3.5, then - before the commit - extract the
changes with
$ svn diff >mybugfix.diff
Then apply (or try to, as it could be difficult) to the kde4 branch with
$ patch -p0 <mybugfix.diff

Regards,

--
Pino Toscano