[Kde-games-devel] State of games

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Aug 9 23:52:16 CEST 2006

> However fortunately most games are in a working and productive state (except
> for maybe a KDE4 port) and thus can live without much efforts, too.

I agree with this in principle, and some games already have an active
user base. However, I would like to add that some of them are starting
to look very dated imo. I am not talking about games that are supposed
to look retro, like kgoldrunner, of course. But KDE has improved a lot
specially in the graphics department, and this makes the difference more
obvious when a game has not been updated in the last few years. In some
cases the icons are really good, but the game pieces and backgrounds
could be improved to use vector art, or transparency, or use shadows,
for example.

I have introduced many people to KDE, including family members. And most
of them have mentioned that some of the games look unpolished, some in
art, others in gameplay, others in general usability. I understand that
there are technical and practical limitations to what we can do, but the
longer development cycle for KDE4 makes it possible (imo) to improve on
this, a great opportunity for a small redesign. And maybe a good
opportunity to reevaluate all games in a sistematic way as well. If some
are starting to show their age, maybe they can be redesigned, or even
removed?

Dmitry has started this process in the quality check page already, and
in his message. Maybe we can use this list or a wiki to discuss the
state of each game with the current maintainer or author, and find ways
to involve graphic artists or more programmers in this effort to improve
the overall quality of the package. In my opinion most games could be
updated relatively easy with refreshed graphics, and this alone would be
an amazing difference for users migrating from KDE3 to KDE4 when it is
ready. You know, sometimes the first impression counts a lot, and pretty
graphics help :)

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini
Tabuleiro