[Kde-games-devel] KDE4 and QGraphicsView port of KGoldrunner

mauricio at tabuleiro.com mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Aug 9 00:28:06 CEST 2006

Hi. I contacted Ian Wadham and Dmitry Suzdalev last week via email, and
started working on a port of kgoldrunner to use the new QGraphicsView API,
dropping QtCanvas and all of the Q3 support classes as well. I have some
experience with software development (around 8 years or so) and I am using
Qt commercial for the past 3 or 4 years. I also released a couple of tools
in sourceforge, but this is my first involvement with the KDE project.

And btw, I got the Developing Open Source Games book in the last GDC as
well :)

Attached is the first patch that implements the migrations described
above. I got a SVN account, so I can commit it if you guys find it easier
to build/test a working copy from SVN. When commiting I can try to split
it into smaller commits as well, but some changes in the QCanvas classes
are extense, so it makes sense to commit all at once.

I am also attaching two additional classes and header files that need to
be added. They implement (more or less in an abstract way) the classes
required to emulate QCanvasSprite and QCanvas behavior in the new
QGraphicsView API.

The good part is that gameplay is apparently unaltered. The original code
had already separated the display structures from game logic, so the only
changes in game related files are the ports required to escape Q3 support
(Q3Frame, Q3PtrList, for example.)

The not-so-good part is that there is still some work to be done. The
patch has //TODO itens that need to be investigated, and there are also
layout issues to be corrected. But the basic work (maybe 80%) is done, and
after this is commited to SVN I can go ahead and start tackling these one
by one. Some are probably kdelib or qt4-preview bugs, or differences in
the current behavior that need to be adjusted.

I should also add that there are two major areas that are still
non-operational due to the issues discussed above: keyboard play (just a
matter of wiring up these correctly for the new architecture, looks like a
KAction issue) and a problem with saving files.

I will wait a couple of days for a review (feel free to email me directly
if you want as well), and will commit by the end of the week to continue
this work if no one objects.

Best regards,
Mauricio Piacentini