[Kde-games-devel] Quality-check for kdegames module created

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 22:35:41 CEST 2006

Hi, Ian!

On Sunday 23 April 2006 08:22, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > "results.php" is a stub.
> > It works like this: when developer thinks that certain criterion if
> > fullfilled, he edits a corresponding xml file by placing a corresponding
> > "check" :).
>
> So I can just tick ("check") everything in my app and I'm done? ;)
Of course :). But that doesn't mean, that you're app will actually pass all
checks :).
That checks are mainly for you as a remaider of milestones you've reached :).
But why am I writing this? I think you've understood all that and just
kidding :).
So am I :).

> So am I, even though I've been at this since KDE 2 and Qt 1, I am
> still mystified by much of what goes on in KDE.
:)

> These are useful, but often seem to finish just when they are
> getting to the tricky stuff.  My problem with XMLGUI (*ui.rc)
> is how to merge my own menu items with the "standard" ones
> correctly and end up with a logical sequence of menu items on
> screen (most-used or most important near the top of the list).
Oh, you really should ask a more experienced dev about this ;).

> I'm talking about _change_ (amendment, replacement and deletion,
> often at a fundamental level), rather than genuinely new features
> (such as canvas programming or a forms designer).  New features
> are always welcome, if they build upon what has gone before.
Well, the programs aren't ideal, you know.
You can never come up with *ideal* interface in advance. You code always will
contain some mistakes - if not in algo-bug-level, then in a design level. Or
both.
And that's good, because ideal code needs no improvement => no futher
development => no fun :))).

> I beg to differ.  Revolutions do not _have_ to destroy what has
> gone before and object-oriented libraries can give us a way to keep
> older source code working even while new features are introduced.
Read above.
And If you feel challenged, try to write a lib, that will be used by thousands
of developers and at the same time will not change it's interface.
No words, just try to do it ;).

And then you'll see :).

> A good example is the latest KMessageBox, which now has a
> "Don't tell me this again" feature.  It's an extra parameter that you
> do not have to use and which defaults to "off", so old code works.
> There are also new methods that turn such messages back on again
> (something I have often wished I could do when using
> Microsoft applications ;-( ).
That's a quite simple example. That's why it works :).
More complex design decisions tend to change the class' interfaces.

> "Major" versions.  I hope Qt4's QList will be the last!
I hope it won't :). I hope it'll develop futher to become more and more
superb.

> "Alice in Wonderland" and "Alice Through The Looking Glass"
> are classic childrens' books in English.  They were written by
> an Oxford University mathematician for the daughter of a friend,
> but adults have found all sorts of deeper meaning in them.  The
> episode with the Red Queen is in "Through The Looking Glass".
> You might enjoy reading those books, Dmitry, if you have not
> seen them before.
This books are in the first decade of my favourites :). I like them _very_
much. But thanks anyway :).

I was tired not because I noted "Alice" in your email :).
That was just because I've written a lot of sentences is English and got tired
of that :).

> No worries, mate :)  All the best, Ian W.
Yup. It's fun to chat with you!
Good luck :).

With best wishes,
Dmitry.