[Kde-games-devel] Design of Qt and/or KGame based programs, part 1

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Sep 27 12:47:33 CEST 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 01.44, Ian Wadham wrote:
> [...]

I understand all that.  However, the work that a slot does could be useful to
invoke from within the same class as well.  The fact that the signal/slot
mechanism is used in the way that you describe above does not detract from
that.

> You might want to invoke a slot directly from within its class once,
> when you are initialising the object that contains it.  When you invoke
> a slot with a signal, you use the *signal* name.  So that name is important
> and the slot name is not so important.  To emphasise this, I like to write
> "emit signalName();", not just "signalName()", even though the MOC
> pre-processor treats "emit" as a null string.  Also a comment is a good
> idea when triggering a slot in an unrelated class.  Otherwise it's hard
> for a human reader of the code to know where control will go next.

I didn't even know that you could trigger the signal without the "emit"
keyword.  I fully agree with the rest of the paragraph.

> Note also that slots and signals are extensively used by libraries in
> Qt and KDE.  Sometimes you need to provide slots for the library
> to use when it detects external events.  It is important that you
> complete the initialisation of all your slots before you allow any
> signals to come in (e.g. before "connect"ing a library signal).
> Otherwise weird things can happen at run time.

I know this as well.  My question was only about naming, nothing else.  I was
probably unclear, and didn't phrase my question clearly enough.

In my case, the slot updates the view and are called when some aspect of the
document is changed.  In my case, KReversi, the document is the game and the
view is the board widget, the score widget (number of pieces of each side),
the side to move, etc, etc.

One example where I want to update the view without affecting the document is
when the computer and the human change sides.  The game only stores the
position using colors white and black, but the top view shows who plays which
side.  So I have to call the slot, but I do it in the main kreversi class,
and am not sending a signal from the document (the game).

I fear that I am still unclear, but I hope that it is somewhat better.  If you
want you can ignore the explanation above, and if you have an idea of how to
treat the original question I would be greatful. On the other hand, since the
question was misunderstood from the beginning, there might not be a clear
answer, and there is no convention on how to do it.

        -Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |