[Kde-games-devel] About 'cloning' games

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Wed Jan 14 21:08:47 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 06:38:57PM +0100, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi, i'm trying to do a Colonization clone. I have been thinking about the
> legal issues on that. I mean, can i copy the rules and gameplay without
> Microprose wanting to sue me? I suppose i can because FreeCiv people have
> done the same and they are still there, but i would like to be sure.

A tile-based, turn-based, evolutionary game with civilizaion/technology
developments and warfare certainly is legal to make. Just avoid similar or
identical artwork.

Likewise, if only I had the artistic skills, I'd love to take LinCity and
build a SimCity alternative.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Fate fell short this time, your smile fades in the summer
cap at capsi.com | Place your hand in mine, I'll leave when I wanna