[Kde-games-devel] Re: kbackgammon completely broken in kde-3.1.4

Nicolai Lissner nlissne at linux01.gwdg.de
Mon Sep 22 07:24:44 CEST 2003

Andreas Beckermann wrote:

> Where the Makefile refers to does not matter. So the 3.1.4 libkdegames is
> _installed_ ?

yes, it is - and it's the version that came with kde-3.1.4

I do not have any files left from 3.1.3 nor did I ever installed a HEAD
version.

> Since we are talking about a probable libkdegames problem, you will have to
> install (at least) libkdegames. "Install" means completely replacing the
> old library files here.

see above - I have got a full kde-3.1.4 installed - nothing else - no version
mixtures.

> I do not know about kbackgammon rules (I never understood them..) but with
> current HEAD (both, kbackgammon and libkdegames) it happens to me that:
> 1. I can move one piece to somewhere else
> 2. The chat widget is telling me to move 2 pieces, but I cannot find a
> piece that I would be allowed to move.
> I guess thats what you mean?

no, not exactly - you can even finish your move after moving only one piece
(actually this is not a legal move in backgammon - you always have to move
for both dice - at least if it's possible - and its *always* possible in the
first move).
or - if you have chosen a timeout - kbackgammon finish your move and the other
player gets new dice. - btw: after starting a new game in kbackgammon white
moves clockwise from 1 to 24 and black moves counterclockwise from 24 to 1.
pieces can only be set on free fields - or you can capture an opponents piece
if it is the only one on a field. - two opponent pieces on the same field
block that field for your pieces - you cannot capture then. (hey, that's
nearly all of the rules - pretty easy, isn't it)
If you have set up a move timeout and kbackgammon does not finish your move
after moving 1 piece and reaching the timeout - the bug must have
disappeared.

> Well, it looks like a problem with my KGameSequence class, that was added
> to HEAD a while ago (it is NOT in KDE 3.1.4!)

If this class is not in KDE 3.1.4 it cannot be the cause -
I am using kde-3.1.4 here.

> I have to admit I was not aware that KBackGammon uses KGame, so I did not
> test it. Everything was working fine with the apps that I tested (wow -
> that change was 6 months ago. If it is really the guilty change, then noone
> seems to be playing kbackgammon ;))

This is probably partly true - people who want to play backgammon against a
computer player probably use gnubg's own gui today. kbackgammon is just
*very* interesting to play backgammon using the internet. -> fibs.com
(although *.com - it's not commercial in any sense - a free and adfree
service)

AFAIK kbackgammon is the only full open source FIBS-Client available. There
are other free clients, but they all are either full or partly closed source.
Clients are listed when people are online there - so I can confirm only a few
people really use kbackgammon. But they love it. And I know people who wont
update their kde if this bug is not solved. Or with other words - with this
bug the number of kbackgammon users will decrease to zero as soon as people
update their kde version.

> I will try to find the reason when I find some time. As a temporary
> solution you may want to install a libkdegames version from before
> 2003/03/01 - it should work then (assuming it is still compiling with that
> ;))

Since it worked with kde-3.1.3 it's probably enough to go back to that version
- or maybe to update to the HEAD - I will try that.

Nicolai