[Kde-games-devel] Names in KDE menu.

Martin Heni kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:29:53 +0100

> I think most of the KDE menu has suitable Names and GenericNames except for
> the Games section. I don't think that Patience and KPoker both having the
> same GenericName "Card Game" is a very good choice. If you look back at the
> above example, you see that "Mail Client" can be used to describe either
> "KMail" or "Evolution" because they both more or less provide the same
> functionality. But Patience and KPoker are not the same, they provide two
> different kind of games, that both happen to be based around cards. XPoker
> and KPoker could share the same GenericName, they would both be about the
> same game, although two different implementations of that game.
>
> So I would like to hear some suggestions for better Name / Generic Name
> combinations for our Game section in the KDE menu.

I don't think it is necessarily so bad if a card game would have the generic
name "card game". Maybe someone wants to list all card games?
If it is made more specific than "card game" you probably have to use
really the game's name like "poker" but you will mainly just have one
application per category then (except tetris or so ;-))

But it all depends what the final aim of the generic name shall be and
whether this can be applied to the games at all.