[Kde-games-devel] I have made guides for Kolf courses

Erik Sigra kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:09:50 +0100

(This message is not strictly about development but I did not find any
list called kde-games or kde-games-user so I posted it here.)

I have made guides for 2 of the Kolf courses, Classic (included in KDE
3.1 and tft (available from
"http://www.katzbrown.com/kolf/Courses/User Uploaded/").

For Classic I have achieved the score 26 (par 49) and for tft 34 (par
61). I guess that a score of 32 or even lower could be achieved on tft
with this guide and some luck.

The guides give instructions about angle and speed for the strokes. I
have tried to find angles that give good result with full speed,
because that is easy to reproduce (no difficult timing for releasing
the DownArror key).

The angle should be set with the keyboard and the option
"Enable &Mouse for Moving Putter" should be turned off. The option
"Show Putter &Guideline" should be turned on.

The angle is given as a general direction, for example N (north) ± a
number of keypresses. A positive number means the key LeftArrow and a
negative number means the key RightArrow.

The general directions are those that are easy to recognize visually
on a computer monitor. They are:

 NW     NE

W    ·     E

 SW     SE

It is very important to note that for each diagonal direction (NE, NW,
SW and SE), there are 2 different directions with the same visual
representation. The evidence for this is that when aiming diagonal,
the visual representation will still be the same after pressing a
particular direction key.

For NE it is called NE(E) if it is the direction that
looks like NE but is closer to E. If it is closer to N it is called
NE(N).

An example, hole 2 on Classic:
Hole  2:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N - 3
  Speed: Full
 End

This means that one should make sure the putter guideline points
straight to the north. Then press the RightArrow key 3 times and
carefully watch that the putter guideline changes a little each time
one presses the key. Then it is time to hit. Press the key DownArrow
and hold it down until the ball is rolling. This is one of the many
holes where the instruction works every time (at least for me).

It gets harder when there are moving objects. I have tried to draw
some timing hints in the guide for tft. Another difficulty is when
full speed cannot be used. Then one has to rely on judgement and
skill.

When an instruction ends with "..." it means that the result is not
reliable enough to give detailed instructions after that stroke.

If someone has found a better solution for any of the holes I would
like to be informed about it. Good luck!

Classic
=======
Hole  1:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
   This stroke is not deterministic. The ball will get into the hole
   sometimes. Otherwise it will end near the hole and require a second
   (easy) stroke.
  Angle: N + 9
  Speed: Full

Hole  2:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N - 3
  Speed: Full
 End

Hole  3:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N - 6
  Speed: Full
 End

Hole  4:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N
  Speed: Full

Hole  5:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N - 2
  Speed: Full

Hole  6:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N
  Speed: Medium
 End

Hole  7:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N - 2
  Speed: Full

Hole  8:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: NW(W) + 4
  Speed: Full
 End

Hole  9:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: N - 12
  Speed: Full
 End

Hole 10:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: SE(E)
  Speed: Full
 End

Hole 11:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: NE(N) + 6 = N - 16
  Speed: Full
 End

Hole 12:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle:
  Speed:

Hole 13:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: E + 14
  Speed: Full
 Stroke 2:
  Angle: E + 14
  Speed: Medium
 End

Hole 14:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: NE(N) + 6 = N - 16
  Speed: Full

Hole 15:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
   This stroke is not deterministic. The ball can end at 2 different
   places at differenc occations. If it comes so close to the NE
   corner that the putter guideline reaches the corner then one has to
   make the next stroke with less than full speed.
  Angle: NE(N)
  Speed: Full
 Stroke 2:
  Angle: W - 7
  Speed:
   Normal case: Full
   If it gets further into the corner: Medium
 End

Hole 16:
 Stroke 1:  (starting point)
  Angle: NW(N) - 2