[Kde-games-devel] Cannot get i18n() to translate stringscontaining UTF-8 bytes

Ian Wadham ianw at netspace.net.au
Mon Dec 8 07:34:57 CET 2003

I've found the problem.  It's not in i18n().  Something has been inserting
strange characters in my en_GB.po file wherever there is an "ü"
sequence.  I think it's something KDevelop 3 uses when it does
"Make Messages and Merge" and "Build Project".

Anyway, at run time, KGoldrunner looks up "ü", but does not find
it, because the .mo (translation lookup) file contains "Ãxy¼", where
x looks like ~C and y looks like A-grave.  Weird!