[Kde-games-devel] Two questions about kbattleship

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Aug 2 02:18:36 CEST 2003

On Saturday 02 August 2003 00:32, Albert 'TSDgeos' Astals Cid wrote:
> At 00:22 02/08/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >On Friday 01 August 2003 20:34, Albert 'TSDgeos' Astals Cid wrote:
> > > 2 - Maybe you noticed i recently implemented wish #40790, i would
> > > like to do the same for the 2 human players game. But that means
> > > changing the network protocol a bit (winner should send its ships
> > > positions to the looser). This can be a problem because:
> >
> >Don't the programs exchange ship positions on game start?
>
> I've looked at the code and i'm almost sure they don't, each time you
> click on a map position the client sends a message asking if it has
> water or a ship and the other player answers. It is better that way,
> because if the ships positions were exchanged at game start you could
> use tcpdump or a similar utility and cheat the game.

Yes, I see wildfox removed that in revision 1.42 of konnectionhandling.cpp
My memory was from the time prior to that.

Anyway, the two clients exchange version info at the sessions' beginning
so I guess if you increase the version it should be possible to extend
the protocol.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>