[Kde-games-devel] QCanvas replacement?

Eduardo Fernandez Quiñones kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:26:03 +0200 (CEST)

I'm not a very expert on the themes and I just did some demos on QCanvas
but I think this about your questions:

> - do we need to have multiple views of the canvas?

I don't know if it's possible to share the QCanvas object to different
clients but if could it's a great thing to have (in WC-like game for
exampl or a football one) the same map ans sprites, images... for all
players to view their own camera... see what I mean?. Even a split screen
feature is easy to do!

> - do we have to support scaling and/or rotating for
> every sprite?

I don't think so. Rotating and scaling could be separated and there could
be sprites wich don't need them but just with a flag on their properties
the time will be saved enough just by checking it, isn't it?. In console
development Sprites are sorted by a category i.e. in GBA there are 128
sprites and for rotating-scalling they are grouped by 128/32 groups. But
what your'e speaking is to do a general purpose library and not a fully
arcade oriented...

> - do we have to include text (probably) and other graphical primitives
> and
> if
> yes, to we convert them just into sprites?

what about text layers? and bitmap layers? if theres a background image
there's no need of a mmmh.. parallax map, just put the image and repeat
it. If there must be text I'm sure it will be on topmost layer...

I'm just trying to give Ideas, do not laugh too loud!!! :P

> - what
> kind of backends to we want (OpenGL, XRender, QCanvas, SDL)?
>- should we give the game some hints about expected performance if it
>uses
>some feature, so that it can decide not to use it, if it is not
>absolutely
>nescessary (e.g. to use a simple alpha mask instead of full alpha
>blending)?

I've checked the alpha from QCancas and never worked to me or my friends.
It allwais paints a pixel yes and one not so the draw seem blurrrrrr... If
not supported could be used that but other features as rotating and
scalling if not supported should give a message as "Don't try the game, it
wont work!".

Bitmapped tiles for rotating an sprite costs memory but can be used...
Rotating a map, scalling big images and so...puf!... better trying a
smaller arcade??
hawhaw

hope this is what you were looking for,
greetz... YAYO