KDE application do not start (over SSH into jail)

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 09:49:03 BST 2022

On Friday, 19 August 2022 17:45:04 CEST Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Now it does not work anymore: if I type kcachegrind, it just stays there
> and nothing happens.
>
> If I press ^t, I see something like:
> > load: 0.33  cmd: kcachegrind 93739 [select] 5.19r 0.04u 0.03s 0% 75044k

I haven't been able to reproduce this; if I have $DISPLAY set, graphical
applications -- I'll admit I didn't specifically try kcachegrind, nor did I
ssh to a jail rather than a physical machine -- work normally.

> Any hint on how to solve (or at least debug) this?

A most likely approach would be to (a) use truss or strace to see what kind of
calls are being made by the application (b) set suitable Qt debugging
environment variables (but I couldn't tell you which those are).

Suggestive, but not definitive search results:

https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Frameworks_Logging_Policy
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qloggingcategory.html
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/423870/where-are-the-kde-plasmashell-logs

[ade]