plasma5-xdg-desktop-portal-kde for KDE file dialog

dinu rr rrdinu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 15:36:19 GMT 2022

Dear KDE FreeBSD team,

Apologies if a direct email like this is not the correct method of
communication.

I have tried to use the deskutils/plasma5-xdg-desktop-portal-kde package to
make Firefox use the native KDE file dialog, by setting environment
variable GTK_USE_PORTAL=1. However, it failed to work, with the error
message that xdg desktop portal service was not running.

I could not find a separate package providing xdg desktop portal service,
nor any documentation suggesting how to get this service running.

Could you please let me know whether it is possible to achieve what I am
looking for?

I have asked this in the FreeBSD Forums
<https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/kde-file-dialog-for-non-kde-applications.84133/>,
but have not received any replies so far.

Thank you so much for KDE on FreeBSD; it works wonderfully and you have
been keeping it up to date promptly with new KDE releases. It's much
appreciated.

Best regards.
Dinu Radhakrishnan