Wayland on FreeBSD

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Mar 8 12:33:55 GMT 2021

On Saturday, 6 March 2021 22:40:42 CET David Faure wrote:
> Does anyone care for wayland on FreeBSD, or is that not really a thing?

Yes, in the sense that sway, river, wlroots are well-maintained (or at least,
up-to-date). I'm told that they work on the desktop, and (even!) telegram-
desktop in Wayland is ok as well.

On the *plasma* side, not so much. I had a brief look at Plasma-Wayland on
Linux over a year ago, it was not-suitable-for-use on Linux so I haven't
looked at it on FreeBSD subsequently. It's somewhere on my todo list (and on
Tobias's, since like everyone we know X is at its last release).

> https://build.kde.org/job/Frameworks/view/Platform%20-%20FreeBSDQt5.15/job/k
> wayland/job/kf5-qt5%20FreeBSDQt5.15/51/testReport/junit/projectroot.autotest
> s/
>
> is very very red, about 50% of the tests fail.

14 fail / 43 today.

> I know nothing about wayland, so all I can offer is to skip all wayland
> unittests on FreeBSD -- or blacklist those that fail, but if nobody cares
> then any future failure would just be as ignored as those, so I don't see
> much point.

I suppose it's "fine", because I doubt I'll have time to dig into this soon;
the first test I look at (testidle) looks more like a failure in file watching
than a Wayland problem, really. At some point we'll need to dig into these
unittests (like you prompted me to do with kcoreaddons &c).

[ade]