FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p1 / kf5-baloo (5.62) bug

Phil Vuchetich phil at vuchetich.com
Fri Jan 17 05:50:40 GMT 2020

Dear FreeBSD KDE team,

First, thanks for the work you continue to do to make using KDE on
FreeBSD a pleasant experience.  I appreciate having this combination
of OS and Desktop for my workstation.  I still have a lot to learn
about both FreeBSD and KDE.

If this is worth tracking in a bug report, could you let me know where
is the best place to post it, and what additional information is
needed to help in the debug process?  The level of detail below is
certainly insufficient to get to a root cause, but I don't know
exactly what would be needed.

Base scenario:
 (originally asked on bsd.network mastodon whether it was worth submitting)
The kf5-baloo package (version 5.62) (baloo is the search indexer that
replaces Nepomuk) was taking up two cores at 100% (baloo_file and
baloo_file_extractor), and may have been responsible for making my
workstation desktop blank twice. The KDE baloo project website
explicitly says it only supports Linux, so I don't know whether it is
worth reporting . I've killed the processes and disabled baloo (via
balooctl).

Clarification: By "making my desktop blank" - I mean that on my
workstation, all 3 physical screens (1 logical X desktop) went
completely blank without warning, and nothing I did via directly
attached mouse or keyboard was visible.  My workaround was to SSH into
the workstation and 'killall -t v1' to kick myself off of the local
terminal, as it appeared everything was running.  This returned the
local terminal to a login prompt.

I don't have any technical information that points to causation
between baloo CPU utilization and Xorg screen blanking other than I
noticed baloo CPU when troubleshooting the screen blanking, and it had
2 cores pegged at 100% utilization each.

I tried balooctl disable / enable, and the enable command generated a
screen full of error messages.  At the time, I had other priorities
than debugging, so I just disabled it again.

Update: Since that last happened today (2020-01-16), I have just run
pkg update, which included kf5-* updates, so I can't reasonably test
the exact version that gave me errors.  I can retest with whatever the
current pkg version is.

Thanks,

-Phil Vuchetich
phil at vuchetich.com