FreeBSD Port: x11/kde5

Pedro Giffuni pfg at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 28 21:54:43 GMT 2020

Hi!

Just thought I'd mention ... I tried KDE5 on my FreeBSD 12-stable box
with a rather old machine (Core2 Quad and 6G RAM). I noticed I had to
raise kern.maxfiles to 225000 to get it to work reasonably well. This
should probably be documented in a pkg-message.

There were many other issues in the console log: samba not well
configured, iwrong format in .so files, and even some systemd not
responding(?) that I didn't get into investigating. The experience ended
up being a nightmare due to lack of responsiveness and I gave up. I will
give it another try when/if I get better hardware.

Thanks for the effort though, KDE is my favorite desktop.

Cheers,

Pedro.