apps show background, menus show as black boxes

David L. Sanford I.N10.2 at programmer.net
Wed Feb 5 22:23:06 GMT 2020

I have been using kde5 on freebsd for some time now.  But the latest
version is not working for me.  Here is my current setup:

VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.0.12_SUSE r132055
FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE r354233 GENERIC  amd64
xorg-7.7_3
kde5-5.17.4.19.12.0

When I open Konsole and try to pull the bottom down to make the display
higher, the background starts showing through rather than the Konsole
content.  And any pop-up or pull down dialogs I try to open just show a
black box.  I don't know if you will be able to receive it, but I will
attach a screenshot to show what it looks like.

This did not happen with the original version of kde5 that installed
with FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE.  It has only started happening when I tried
to update to kde5-5.17.3 on FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE.  I decided to install
the latest of everything, and the problem still persists.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.