HEADS UP: graphics/ilmbase and graphics/OpenEXR update planned - feedback required until Sept 23

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 9 16:35:24 BST 2018

Greetings fellow porters,

Each of you maintain one or more ports that directly depends on ilmbase
and/or OpenEXR, which are high-profile ports.
There are c. four dozen ports that depend directly on ilmbase and/or
OpenEXR, with indirect dependencies the entire list amounts to ~500
affected ports.

I intend to update the graphics/ilmbase and graphics/OpenEXR port to
v2.3.0, which brings shared library version bumps, and you may have to
update your ports' *_DEPENDS lines to chase the ilmbase/OpenEXR version
bumps accordingly.
Spot checks of the new ports with gegl, gegl3, darktable did not show
compile-time issues if the *_DEPENDS is updated and the port recompiled.

I want to coordinate the update with you so your ports do not break, but
I do NOT intend to keep multiple versions of ilmbase/OpenEXR around.

I need your input regarding the OpenEXR port upgrade on these items:

 1. do we need an -exp run? If yes, please state your reason - a weak
    but halfway plausible reason will suffice so that I request the -exp
    run.
 2. do you need to handle a potential *_DEPENDENCIES update yourself
    because you keep a master repository outside FreeBSD? If yes, which
    ports and maintainer aliases are affected?
 3. if you are knowledgable about OpenEXR internals, should we flip the
    switch for "large stack optimizations";
    or else: do you have an URL that you can point me to that assesses
    stack size considerations under FreeBSD, for applications?
 4. can we take this opportunity to rename the OpenEXR port to openexr,
    so it matches its distribution name? This would simplify the OpenEXR
    port quite a bit, which works around the OpenEXR/openexr name
    dichotomy. The distribution calls itself openexr these days and is
    hosted on GitHub.
 5. any other comments?

If I do NOT hear from anyone within 14 days, I will bump the shared
library name in each of your ports' *_DEPENDS and bump PORTREVISION.

The proposed port update contains two ports under ${PORTSDIR}/graphics/
and has been uploaded to:

  * https://people.freebsd.org/~mandree/OpenEXR-ilmbase.shar
  * https://people.freebsd.org/~mandree/OpenEXR-ilmbase.shar.asc <- this
    is the detached GnuPG signature for the shar above

Further links:

  * OpenEXR web site <http://www.openexr.com/>
  * openexr project on GitHub <https://github.com/openexr/openexr>

This is the list of maintained ports that have a direct dependency on
ilmbase and/or OpenEXR, with OpenEXR elided for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your cooperation.

> amdmi3 at FreeBSD.org: games/pink-pony
> amdmi3 at FreeBSD.org: graphics/nvidia-texture-tools
> danfe at FreeBSD.org: graphics/alembic
> danfe at FreeBSD.org: graphics/appleseed
> danfe at FreeBSD.org: graphics/hdr_tools
> danilo at FreeBSD.org: graphics/vips
> dumbbell at FreeBSD.org: graphics/darktable
> ehaupt at FreeBSD.org: graphics/exrtools
> FreeBSD at Shaneware.biz: graphics/blender
> FreeBSD at Shaneware.biz: graphics/openimageio
> FreeBSD at Shaneware.biz: graphics/openshadinglanguage
> FreeBSD at Shaneware.biz: graphics/py-openimageio
> gnome at FreeBSD.org: graphics/gegl
> gnome at FreeBSD.org: graphics/gegl3
> grog at FreeBSD.org: graphics/enblend
> grog at FreeBSD.org: graphics/hugin
> h2+fbsdports at fsfe.org: graphics/luminance
> h2+fbsdports at fsfe.org: graphics/luminance-qt5
> jamesb-bsd at excamera.com: graphics/py-openexr
> kde at FreeBSD.org: devel/kio-extras
> kde at FreeBSD.org: editors/calligra
> kde at FreeBSD.org: graphics/kf5-kimageformats
> kde at FreeBSD.org: graphics/krita
> kde at FreeBSD.org: x11/kde-runtime-kde4
> kde at FreeBSD.org: x11/kdelibs-kde4
> multimedia at FreeBSD.org: graphics/gstreamer1-plugins-openexr
> olivier at FreeBSD.org: graphics/openfx-io
> rm at FreeBSD.org: graphics/gimp-gmic-plugin
> thierry at FreeBSD.org: graphics/cimg
> woodsb02 at FreeBSD.org: devel/synfig
> woodsb02 at FreeBSD.org: graphics/synfigstudio
> yuri at FreeBSD.org: graphics/gmic
> yuri at FreeBSD.org: multimedia/cinelerra-gg

Happy coding,
Matthias