libkgapi-18.08 conflicts with kdepim-runtime-18.04.3_2

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 1 12:05:30 BST 2018

Am 31.08.18 um 23:37 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> On Saturday, 25 August 2018 16:04:43 CEST Stefan Esser wrote:
>> This might be no problem when upgrading from a package, but upgrading from a
>> port (e.g. with portmaster) fails with:
>>
>> ===>   Registering installation for libkgapi-18.08.0
>> Installing libkgapi-18.08.0...
>> pkg-static: libkgapi-18.08.0 conflicts with kdepim-runtime-18.04.3_2
>> (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file:
>> /usr/local/lib/sasl2/libkdexoauth2.so
>> *** Error code 70
>>
>> I had expected some information in UPDATING or a conflicts entry, which
>> matches kdepim-runtime<=18.04 or something like that ...
>>
>> What is the correct way to deal with that problem?
>
> For the record on the mailing list:
>
> This is caused by files moving from one package to another upstream (and no
> UPDATING / CONFLICTS being set in the port, downstream). To fix, remove kdepim-
> runtime, then update kmailtransport and libkgapi, then install the rest again.

Hi Adriaan,

I had assumed that this was the cause, and IMHO that situation should be dealt
with by (until the following release or the one after that) having a CONFLICTS
entry in devel/libkgabpi/Makefile, e.g.:

CONFLICTS_BUILD=	kdepim-runtime-18.0[0-4]*

That way, users building from a port can see this warning, but tools like
portmaster can react and plan the installation steps in such a way, that the
upgrade succeeds without intervention.

In my case, some 200 ports needed to be upgraded by portmaster, and except for
this problem, everything went smooth.

If the KDE team decides that building from ports is no longer supported, there
is a problem for users that depend on building other ports themselves, since
mixing of ports and packages does not work too well. (A pkg upgrade of the KDE
ports wants to replace locally built packages with official packages and thus
is not usable if ports with non-default options are installed and required.)

I understand that the conflict was not due to changes performed by the KDE
team, but IMHO the KDE team should consider upgrades from ports as supported
and thus should place the required CONFLICTS lines into affected ports.

Regards, STefan