Issues installing qt5 applications without full KDE

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 07:49:48 BST 2018

Hi,

I am installing FreeBSD-11.2 in a couple of systems and I noticed
the following problem.

I don't use usually the full KDE, I prefer lightweight windows managers and
my default choice is WindowMaker.

So, the problem is, installing qt5 applications, and most notably Dolphin
without KDE, there miss all the icons and the applications is unusable.

Following this link:https://goo.gl/3wDVkf
I found that a procedure to get Dolphin and all the other qt5 applications
working can be this one:
-------------------------------------
1) Install qt5ct

2) Set this variable in .bashrc (or your shell)
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"

3) Install an icon set e.g. : kf5-oxygen-icons5-5.50.0

4) Select an icon set with qt5ct :
qt5ct --> Icon Theme --> Oxygen

5) run Dolphin; now it should work.

I don't know if this is the right mail address to contact but
this kind of information should be put in all qt5 applications
ports/packages that the user can install independently from KDE.

bye
Nicola Mingotti