The state of KDE on FreeBSD / root vulnerability...

Hannes Hauswedell h2 at fsfe.org
Fri May 19 15:17:02 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

my main question is whether KDE on FreeBSD is affected by the infamous KDE
root vulnerability.

I don't want to complain or anything, and I know it's all volunteer work (I
did lot's testing back in the KDE4 porting efforts), but the current state of
KDE on FreeBSD seems to be rather desolate to me right now. I have stopped
reporting bugs years ago, because upstream wouldn't take them, because our
versions are so outdated. Besides the annoyances of bugs, there now seem to be
serious security problems and I wonder everyday whether KDE5 (or at least
KDE4's app packages) are around the corner, or whether I need to migrate all
my work away from KDE software as fast as possible.
And yes, I have looked at area51, but it doesn't seems to contain packages for
any of the relevant apps (kmail, kate, kile, kdevelop...) and also I don't
want to risk mixing packages on my work computers.

Of course I would love to stick with the KDE apps, but it would be really
helpful right now to know if there is a plan/timeline for updates, or whether
this is completely unknown right now.

Thank you,
Hannes