Messing around with linkers & CMake

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Mar 8 23:42:49 UTC 2017

In some cases, we end up with shared-libs that are too big to include debug
info; webkit2, webengine come to mind. Here's one way to mess with the linking
step (bear in mind, I haven't played at *all* with the consequences this has
nor how variable-scope affects generation).

Consider

	add_library(foo SHARED foo.c)

Build this in verbose mode:
	cmake .
	make foo VERBOSE=1
See how the compiler is invoked at the end to link the library?

Now consider this:

	set(CMAKE_C_CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY
		"<CMAKE_LINKER> <CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_C_FLAGS>
<LANGUAGE_COMPILE_FLAGS> <LINK_FLAGS> <CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_CREATE_C_FLAGS>
<SONAME_FLAG><TARGET_SONAME> -o <TARGET> <OBJECTS> <LINK_LIBRARIES>")
	add_library(foo SHARED foo.c)

This messes with the command that CMake uses -- and later expands -- to create
shared libraries from C code; the standard definition is in
./Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake , and uses <CMAKE_C_COMPILER> while setting
the variable ourselves lets us choose the linker instead. Note that this
*won't* compile, since the flags for the linker are seriously different from
what the C compiler expects (in particular, you'll see -Wl,-soname in there
where the linker invoked directly wants -soname).

Probably by massaging this variable in a suitable manner you can stuff in any
particular tool you want.

[ade]