How to upgrade?

Tobias C. Berner tcberner at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 8 20:21:51 UTC 2017

Hi Dwayne

The easiest way is to setup poudriere to build a local repo -- poudriere is
smart enough to figure out what needs to be upgraded after you update your
portstree. -- It may seem daunting at first, but I guarantee makes your
life easier. [Maybe you also have success with synth, instead of poudriere,
but last time it failed, because it also seemed to rely on the category
Makefiles]. Make index fails, as the merge script 'kdemerge' does add new
ports to the category Makefiles.

I use the poudriere method here, and I haven't had any issues, which
weren't my own fault :P

Basically:
1) create a portstree for poudriere containing the ports+merged
plasma5-ports
2) create a poudriere jail corresponding to your system
3) poudriere -j<your jail from 2)> -p<your portstree from 1)> x11/kde5
poudriere will then go on, and build x11/kde5 upgrading/rebuilding/creating
packages for all that is required in the process.
4) setup a local pkg-repo configuration for said packages
5) use pkg
6) profit.

Afterwards, just updating the portstree, redoing step 3) and 5) will keep
your system up to date.

mfg Tobias