KMix and more than one sound device

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jun 19 13:01:55 UTC 2017

El día lunes, junio 19, 2017 a las 01:02:58p. m. +0200, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> Hello,
>
> I have configured in KDE 4.14.x for sound control:
>
> System Settings --> Shortcuts and Gestures --> Global Keyboard Shortcuts --> KMix
>
> Alt + f8   --> Mute
> Alt + f9   --> Decrease Volume
> Alt + f10  --> Increase Volume
>
> This works fine with the default (internal) sound device. But when I
> plug-in an USB audio headset, the default device is switched correctly
> to the USB audio which works fine to and the 'mixer' command line works to:
>
> $ cat /dev/sndstat
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Intel Haswell (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> pcm1: <Realtek (0x0283) (Analog 2.0+HP/4ch)> (play/rec)
> pcm2: <USB audio> (play/rec) default
>
> # tail /etc/sysctl.conf
> #
> # last attached snd device gets 'default'
> # see man sound(4)
> hw.snd.default_auto=2
>
> # mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
>

> What is not working, is controlling the mixer with the Alt+F.. keys. It
> seems that KMix does not see the switch to the new device.

KMix sees all sound devices which are present on KDE startup. A later
plug-in needs a restart of KDE. Then all is fine.

Si the questions is more: why it does no see new pluged-in devices?

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
8. Mai 1945: Wer nicht feiert hat den Krieg verloren.