Area51 repo's

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sun Aug 28 18:19:34 UTC 2016

So I've published a whole bunch of plans and intentions for area51 trunk and
plasma5 branch, and things currently look like this:

 - trunk is currently abandoned. It has Qt 5.6, ahead of official ports, but I'm
not intending to do anything with trunk for now.

 - plasma5 is the "next hotness". It has had Qt 5.6 merged (without history).
It is being prepared for flushing downstream next. Raphael and Tobias are doing
that with partial PRs, moving in little steps so as not to disturb official
ports too much.

This means that:
 - RIght now you really don't need the trunk/ branch, or qt-5.6/ branch, since
those are both obsolete and merged into plasma5/
 - Building the-next-hotness is a matter of building from plasma5/ .

Next plan is to let rakuco and tcberner do their thing, PR'ing bits and pieces
downstream; in the meantime I try to track ports and merge it back into
plasma5/ so that when we reach the state of everything-is-flushed-downstream
that plasma5/ and official ports match.

*Then* I'll merge-without-history to trunk. That will return us to a state
where we have things working "normally": trunk is the next big thing (at that
point, it'll be no big thing) and we have a branch, qt-5.7/, for developing a
larger change.

I imagine we'll have some futzing around to do in trunk as the frameworks
settle in to the packaging system, and then follow up with merging Qt 5.7 and
flushing that downstream. But in that timeframe, the repo will be behaving
"normally".

[ade]

PS. I'd welcome a discussion of git as well.