Plan for merging Plasma5-branch to trunk

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sun Aug 14 12:15:54 UTC 2016

Since there has been very little comment on my earlier plan to forget SVN
history and just merge plasma5 with trunk as best as we can, I'm going to
(slowly) go ahead with that.

Here's the current state of trunk wrt. ports:
 - trunk has Qt 5.6
 - ports has an in-flight PR to update bsd.kde4.mk

Here's my N-step plan to merge plasma5 to trunk:

 - 1. Merge changes to KDE/Mk into trunk. This moves trunk ahead of the in-
flight PR, because plasma5 also has KDE5 support (and the PR is expressly
pared-down). Patch up the Tools/ directory.

 - 1.test. Build kde4 packages. Build qt4 packages. Build qt5 packages. This
is less than a full exp-run, but I don't have the resources do do that in a
sensible timeframe.

 - 1.polish. There are still ports doing USES_KDE4= (or whatever the old style
is; this causes a nice warning to be printed. Fix ports that trigger the
warning.

 - 2. Merge all the frameworks and *just* the frameworks, using files changed
by Tobias in r12913 - r12918. That's frameworks, plus NLS removal from
frameworks, plus plist fixes in dependent ports.

 - 2.test. Build kf5* ports. Build kde4 ports. Buld qt4, qt5.

 - 3. Commit all that to trunk. Then we have a new situation:
   - trunk has Qt 5.6
   - trunk has updated Mk/Uses/kde.mk
   - trunk has KDE Frameworks 5 ports

 - 4. Consider PR'ing some of those changes.

After these steps, there are still three things left to do:
 - handle renaming applications and ports that are now kde4-specific
 - adding plasma5
 - adding kf5-based KDE applications

Thoughts?
[ade]