[kde-freebsd] critical level of battery but no shutdown

Anthony Jenkins Scoobi_doo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 18:47:17 UTC 2015

On 03/04/2015 12:55 PM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Wednesday, March 04, 2015 a las 12:16:35PM -0500, Anthony Jenkins escribió:
>> can you power off the machine from the K-Menu?
> How I can do this exactly? I only see:
> Session lock
> Session Logout
> System Hibernate
> System Sleep
Hmm... I have 7 options:

 * Session - Log out
 * Session - Lock
 * Session - Switch user
 * System - Sleep
 * System - Hibernate
 * System - Restart
 * System - Shut down

> Btw: I'm starting KDE4 via 'startx' after login into alpha console;
> maybe this is the problem at all? Because, how the system shutdown can
> be done as normal user...

KDE4 does allows normal (unprivileged) users to shut the system down,
but that is probably via KDM, which is started as root.  If KDE4 is
using KDM to power off the system, and you're not using KDM, that might
explain the problem.  Not sure what KDE4 does when it wasn't started via
KDM... can you post your ${HOME}/.xsession-errors file somewhere, after
allowing the battery to drain below the "critical" watermark?

>>   * Set up KDM to log to /var/log/kdm.log.  Mine shows shutdown being
>> performed:
> Where can I do this?

Actually I was looking for where I set this up before I sent the email,
and couldn't find it :-)  I must've set it up because it's logging
there...  KDM's config files are under /usr/local/share/config/kdm/ and
I don't see anything about /var/log/kdm.log.

--
Anthony Jenkins