[kde-freebsd] critical level of battery but no shutdown

Anthony Jenkins Scoobi_doo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 17:16:35 UTC 2015

On 03/04/15 01:59, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is with KDE4 and 11-CURRENT, both compiled from HEAD. I have
> configure in System-->PowerManagement-->AdvancedSettings that the system
> should shutdown on critical level 10% of battery power, it does nothing
> it just consumes all remaining power and the laptop (Acer C720
> Cromebook) goes dark at the end. Why?
I just tried it on my KDE4 laptop (HP Envy Sleekbook 15) and it shutdown
properly at 5% battery.  Here's some stuff you might check:

  * Make sure you have sysutils/upower installed.  Try running
'/usr/local/bin/upower --monitor-detail' to see if the UPower daemon is
properly reporting power events.  I think it communicates over DBus (as
does most of KDE) so that should be installed/running too. My upower log
is at http://www.qtchat.org/docs/upower-monitor.log .

  * Check to see what KDE4's "Halt" command is configured as. (K-Menu ->
System Settings -> System Administration -> Login Screen -> Shutdown).
I have the "Halt" command set to "/sbin/shutdown -p now".  I'm not 100%
sure if this is where KDE4 gets the command to run to shutdown the box
though... can you power off the machine from the K-Menu?

  * Set up KDM to log to /var/log/kdm.log.  Mine shows shutdown being
performed:

(EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
shutdown: [pid 2160]
Shutdown NOW!
Shutdown NOW!

  * What's the output of 'sysctl hw.acpi.battery'?

That's all I can think of...

Anthony

--
Anthony Jenkins