[kde-freebsd] after update to KDE 4.14.2: Virtual desktops Cube Animation not working

Schaich Alonso alonsoschaich at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 28 21:16:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 22:01:30 +0100
Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

> El día Tuesday, October 28, 2014 a las 10:28:07AM -0400, Dwayne MacKinnon escribió:
>
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > In System Settings->Desktop Effects under "Simple effect setup" is a pulldown
> > menu for "Effect for desktop switching." You can select Desktop Cube Animation
> > there.
> >
> > I'm running 4.14.2 myself on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE with Desktop Cube.
>
> Hi Dwayne,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. I checked this menu too and played around
> there with values. This raises error messages like
>
> Desktop Cube Animation requires OpenGL
> (same for some other two forms, forgot the names, ...blur???)
>
> I checked the installed package for 'opengl' and I do have:
>
> # pkg-static info | fgrep -i opengl
> dri-9.1.7_6,2                  OpenGL hardware acceleration drivers for the DRI
> freeglut-2.8.1_3               Alternative to the OpenGL Utility Toolkit (GLUT) library
> glew-1.11.0_2                  The OpenGL Extension Wrangler Library
> libGL-9.1.7_3                  OpenGL library that renders using GLX or DRI
> libGLU-9.0.0_2                 OpenGL utility library
> libglesv2-9.1.7_3              OpenGL ES v2 library
> py27-qt4-opengl-4.11.1_1,1     Python bindings for the Qt4 toolkit, QtOpenGL module
> qt4-opengl-4.8.6_2             Qt OpenGL support module
>
> The same set as on the 4.12.5 laptop (where Deskto Cube works). Any
> idea?

You can check for OpenGL runtime support with kinfocenter (graphical
information -> opengl), you need at least OpenGL 2 for kwin AFAIK (there
were some issues with old MESA a year ago).

If you have OpenGL available on the system you can enable it's use in
systemsettings -> desktop effects -> advanced -> compositing type.

Alonso