[kde-freebsd] Merging qt5-uitools->qt5/designer and qt5-qmldevtools->qt5-qml for Qt 5.3?

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 12 21:26:28 UTC 2014

I have finally reached a point in the Qt 5.3.2 porting process where all
ports build correctly, and looking at the work as a whole I'd like to
propose merging devel/qt5-uitools into devel/qt5-designer and
devel/qt5-qmldevtools into lang/qt5-qml.

The main reason behind this is that Qt 5.3 and the upcoming 5.4 have
introduced some changes to the build system and the mkspecs and we
cannot just call qmake from a subdirectory like we did in many ports. I
am now calling qmake from the top-level ${WRKDIR} and patching .pro
files to exclude certain SUBDIRs as necessary.

For qt5-uitools and qt5-designer, it means adding a couple of patches to
each port to build or not build the uitools subdirectory.

For qt5-qmldevtools, it means the "no_module_headers" sed call in the
Makefile does not work anymore, qt5-qml is needed as a build-time
dependency and the headers (which actually belong to qt5-qml and are
also installed by it into a different location) cannot be installed
anymore.

It's not entirely clear to me why these ports were split in the first
place; from area51 r8887, I can only assume it's to avoid adding a lot
of dependencies to the linguist ports (bug 190929 comes to mind). If
that is indeed the case, we already have qt5-linguist and
qt5-linguisttools with the latter having the translation tools used by
most Qt-based ports. We could then make the actual qt5-linguist port
depend on qt5-designer without many complains (I hope). As for
qt5-qmldevtools, since the port now depends on qt5-qml to build and the
header files it used to install are now shipped only by qt5-qml, I see
little purpose in keeping it around.