[kde-freebsd] Weird KDE & VirtualBox problem

Schaich Alonso alonsoschaich at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 1 11:04:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-28 19:01 Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded my amd64 box to FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE so that I could
> get
> the new amd kms drivers and move up to KDE 4.11/4.12.
>
> I've discovered an odd bug when running VirtualBox
> (emulators/virtualbox-ose)
> under the current KDE. Namely, it won't work.
>
> When I attempt to launch VirtualBox while running KDE VirtualBox
> complains
> that it isn't setuid root, and promptly segmentation faults.
>
> If I run VirtualBox under twm, this problem does not occur. If I ssh -Y
> into
> my own box from KDE, and run VirtualBox in the ssh session, the problem
> doesn't occur.
>
> Do any of the KDE gurus here have any idea how KDE could be interfering
> with
> VirtualBox's being setuid to root?
>
> Cheers,
> DMK

Hi,

AFAIK the segfault thing originates in the fact VirtualBox is linked
against gcc's c++ libraries while the Qt ports used by VirtualBox link
against clang's libraries by default on FreeBSD-10 which causes
undesirable side-effects. Someone posted instructions on how to build an
alternate/inofficial VirtualBox port with clang to avoid the issue to
emulation@:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2014-January/011224.html

Hope that helps. VirtualBox doesn't need root over here, though I need
to load the vboxdrv kernel module and start the vboxnet service both as
root in order for VirtualBox to work.

Alonso