[kde-freebsd] Trying to make sense out of py-qt4-dbus and py-qt4-dbussupport

Jason E. Hale jhale at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 7 02:05:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa
<rakuco at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I've recently been going through devel/py-qt4-core's patch-configure.py
> in an effort to trim it down to a minimum.
>
> One of the hunks in the patch there is used to make py-qt4-dbussuport
> build. It was added in area51 r8574, but I can't figure out why it is
> necessary to have the split between py-qt4-dbus and py-qt4-dbussuport.

py-qt4-dbus is the actual PyQT4 DBus module which is newer and was not
provided by ports in the past...IIRC it was added in 4.9.0.
py-qt4-dbussupport is a DBus support module to provide an interface to py-
dbus.

The reason for the patch in the configure script was to prevent the dbussupport
module from building unnecessarily during every py-qt4 module build.  It
causes the script to return instead of searching for dbus.  This was before
staging, as well, so something had to be done to prevent the dbussupport
module from installing along with each py-qt4 module.

When I made that change, there were no consumers of new py-qt4-dbus in the
ports tree.  I just changed the ports that required the old py-qt4-dbus to use
py-qt4-dbussupport instead.  I didn't see any reason for those ports to pull in
the newer stuff if they didn't need it, thus the split.  They are two
separate things
anyways.  I would assume as time went on, py-qt4-dbus would be used in
projects and the dbus support module would disappear.  With the ports split,
that transition would be made easier as well.

Hope that clears things up.

- Jason