[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.11.4 and QT5

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Jan 15 12:27:44 UTC 2014

On Monday 13 January 2014 17:54:11 Alberto Villa wrote:
> 2014/1/13 Ajtim <lumiwa at gmail.com>:
> > Is it possible to install QT5 (upgrade qt4) and KDE 4.11.4 from area51,
> > please. In are51 is nothing in update what I am asking for.
> Qt 5 is NOT an upgrade of Qt 4, it's a different version of the
> framework. Right now you can't use it for anything, but I'm working to
> make it committable.

As Alberto writes, Qt5 is not usuable with KDE 4. The situation is this:

 - KDE4 is QT4-only.
 - Qt5 is sometimes source-incompatible with Qt4
 - Qt5 introduces a strong emphasis on QML, which is new (relative to Qt4)
technology, although it's been available for, what, 2 years already.
 - With Qt5, KDE is now "KDE Frameworks" and "KDE Applications", and the
entire layout of the packages they ship is changed; some things have moved
from kdelibs (developed in KDE4) into Qt, and the whole stack has become much
more modularized (some might say "fragmented", but that's only if you're
building it yourself).
 - KDE Frameworks makes heavy use of the QML from Qt5.
 - I gather Qt5 is a hard nut already on FreeBSD
 - KDE Frameworks probably contains a year and a half of mostly-Linux
development and will be quite a challenge.

[ade]