[kde-freebsd] Weird KDE & VirtualBox problem

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Fri Feb 28 18:01:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my amd64 box to FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE so that I could get
the new amd kms drivers and move up to KDE 4.11/4.12.

I've discovered an odd bug when running VirtualBox (emulators/virtualbox-ose)
under the current KDE. Namely, it won't work.

When I attempt to launch VirtualBox while running KDE VirtualBox complains
that it isn't setuid root, and promptly segmentation faults.

If I run VirtualBox under twm, this problem does not occur. If I ssh -Y into
my own box from KDE, and run VirtualBox in the ssh session, the problem
doesn't occur.

Do any of the KDE gurus here have any idea how KDE could be interfering with
VirtualBox's being setuid to root?

Cheers,
DMK