[kde-freebsd] Problems with desktop settings in 4.10

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Tue Apr 16 16:41:39 UTC 2013

On April 16, 2013 11:54:27 AM Max Brazhnikov wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:16:41 -0400 Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since the update to 4.10 I've run into an odd problem. I started out
with
> > clean setup (deleted the .kde4 & .local directories). The settings
for my
> > desktop won't stick. If I log out of kde and then back in, they reset.
The
> > wallpaper goes to the kde default (not the FreeBSD default) and
any
> > widgets
> > I've put on the desktop are gone.
> >
> > The settings for the panel however are fine.
> >
> > To reproduce, simply log in as a new user, make changes, and log
out. When
> > you log in again, your changes will be gone. I've seen this on three
up
> > to date machines running 9.1-RELEASE (both i386 and amd64.)
> >
> > In the activities manager things are odd. There are two activities,
one
> > called "undefined" that you can't do anything with.
>
> Make sure x11/kactivitymanagerd and x11-themes/kde4-wallpapers-
freebsd ports
> are installed.

Both of those packages are installed.

I just ran another experiment. I deleted .kde4, .local and everything
from /tmp. When I started a kde session I was greeted with the default
kde-freebsd wallpaper (which is nice, btw.)

Checking the Activities set the odd "undefined" activity was there. The
upper right-hand corner button read "Desktop."

I then changed the wallpaper, added a folder view widget and logged
out of kde.

When I logged back in, the wallpaper was the default kde one. The
folder view widget was gone. The upper-right-hand corner reads "New
Activity."

The Activities section still shows the odd "undefined" activity.

Cheers,
DMK