[kde-freebsd] KDE Slows down X

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 18 13:20:26 UTC 2012

KDE Team,

I've gotten a number of reports from our users, that when using KDE
4.8.4 and leaving the system up for more than 24-48 hours eventually it
causes Xorg to use 100% CPU and the desktop slows down to a crawl. This
is *only* occurring when KDE is the running desktop, Gnome, LXDE and
others don't seem to have this issue. I've confirmed it here as well on
an ATI system, so its doing it on both that and NVIDIA hardware. Logging
out and back in again fixes the problem.

Has anybody else run into this? Its easy to duplicate, just leave your
desktop session up for a day or two. I tried disabling all the KDE
Energy Savings in their control panel, but it still occurs. Can anybody
else think of any knobs to tweak?

--
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software