[kde-freebsd] QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine regression?

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 5 10:36:05 UTC 2012

I have a quite large photo collection managed with digikam.
After upgrading my machine after a long (couple of months) pause I am now seeing
the following when starting digikam:

QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: [scrubbed]
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files

Lots of these messages.  digikam then crashes:

digikam(89741) KIO::SlavePrivate::SlavePrivate: Connection server not listening,
could not connect

GLib-ERROR **: Cannot create pipe main loop wake-up: Too many open files

aborting...

I have out-of-box limits on open files:
kern.maxfiles: 50000
kern.maxfilesperproc: 11095

I find it to be a problem that digikam now has to open all files in my
collection because of how QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine works.

Have I missed some UPDATING note or a package message about this?

I would prefer to not bump kern.maxfilesperproc to an arbitrarily large value.
Is there a knob to control filesystem-watcher behavior?

Thank you!
--
Andriy Gapon