[kde-freebsd] graphics/qiviewer: Not displaying image jpeg

Mel Flynn rflynn at acsalaska.net
Thu May 24 22:08:24 UTC 2012

>Submitter-Id:	current-users
>Originator:	Mel Flynn
>Confidential:	no
>Synopsis:	graphics/qiviewer: Not displaying image jpeg
>Severity:	serious
>Priority:	low
>Category:	ports
>Class:		sw-bug
>Release:	FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE amd64
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD datakitty.lan.rachie.is-a-geek.net 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #6 r230977: Sun Feb 5 06:20:11 AKST 2012 mel at datakitty.lan.rachie.is-a-geek.net:/data/obj/data/RELENG_8/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

When graphics/qiviewer is installed without having a full KDE desktop,
in my case a trimmed down x11-wm/xfce4 (no PRINT, no MIXER, no GDM) then
qiviewer will not display JPEG images.
It will successfully show PNG images, which leads me to believe that the
root cause is that the program relies on QtGUI providing the image support.

Since the FreeBSD QtGUI only links with png, no other image formats are
available to it. Jpeg is available at compile and runtime.

I haven't tested if the application works in full KDE environment (ENOTIME).

>How-To-Repeat:

pre-req: delete all qt4-* ports or have a clean install and then install
         for example xfce or fvwm.
make -C /usr/ports/graphics/qiviewer install

Try to open a folder containing jpg images. Size will be displayed but the
actual image screen is blank.
Using convert from ImageMagick to change the image to png, will show the
image in qiviewer correctly.

>Fix:

Possible fix that should be examined if linking QtGui with jpeg makes this
work.