[kde-freebsd] [CFT] kde-games fix for (invalid shared segment parameter)

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 12 11:57:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Alberto Villa <avilla at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Thanks. I think that LooX's patch is part of the solution, but we also
> need to increase those two limits.

OK, I figured out what was the problem with Qt 4.7. LooX's patches
don't work (also, one patches unused code). His problems went away
because of this fix:
http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/commit/68f78ba/diffs

Thus, kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1 is completely useless with Qt 4.8.

LooX: for the record, the PR you referred to was fixed by adding
XSync() because shmctl(IPC_RMID) was called right after XShmAttach(),
and X.Org works asynchronously, so XSync() has to be called to be sure
the segment has already been attached to when marked for removal. It
took some time for me to understand this.

Now an update on my Qt 4.8 test: so far I live fine with...

kern.ipc.shmmni=1024
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024

...set in loader.conf. I still have some repaint problems (window
titles lag a bit when changing), but I won't give up until they're
fixed.
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla