[kde-freebsd] [CFT] kde-games fix for (invalid shared segment parameter)

Mel Flynn rflynn at acsalaska.net
Fri Mar 9 16:55:12 UTC 2012

On 3/9/2012 16:20, Alberto Villa wrote:

> The problem is with the limit to shared memory segments: shmmni, which
> is the maximum allowed number of memory identifiers (i.e., segments on
> the system), and shmseg, which is the same thing, but per-process.
> These were set to about 1xx (I don't remember), but Plasma alone needs
> ~130 after 15 minutes of system usage with two KDE activities. Now add
> all other programs: with Amarok, Konsole and Rekonq I'm using 173 of
> them, and each instance of Dragon Player playing a movie requires 60
> more (but Marble, for example, only needs 4, that's why I don't
> understand why it was failing on Qt 4.7). The system knows the memory
> limit is far away (shmall), tries to allocate a new identifier, and
> fails. I wonder why it doesn't behave more smartly.

I'm wondering two different things:
1) Why are we using semaphore locks?
Traced this down to missing POSIX_THREAD_PROCESS_SHARED support
(basically, the pthread_mutexattr_setpshared POSIX function).

2) Could missing support of anonymous semaphores be the root cause? In
other words, has anyone looked into:
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/102147/

It makes sense to me that if we're unable to use KSDC that each program
creates it's own segments and we're consuming more then we should be.
--
Mel