[kde-freebsd] KDE freezes while shutting down

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 8 16:02:40 UTC 2012

On Thursday 08 March 2012 16:06:25 Jerry wrote:
> FreeBSD-8.2 STABLE
> kde Version 4.7.4 (4.7.4)
>
> KDE has suddenly started to freeze-up when I attempt to shut down the
> application. Clicking on the "LEAVE" tab brings up a countdown screen.
> At then end of the time period or sooner if I click on the "log-out" the
> screen darkens and then nothing happens. I can click on other
> applications on the desktop and they will function. I have to use the
> <CTRL> <ALT> <BS> combination to shut the program down.
>
> I have also noticed that when I start up KDE, I no-longer hear the
> "start-up" tones I use to hear. The audio system does work correctly
> though.
>
> Any ideas how I can debug this problem?

I guess you're using phonon-gstreamer. You need to install some
GStreamer audio codec.

$ cat /usr/ports/x11/kde4-workspace/files/pkg-message-phonon-
gstreamer
Warning: should you want to use Phonon-GStreamer as your Phonon
backend, you'll need to install *at least* audio/gstreamer-plugins-ogg
to avoid finding yourself stuck when logging out of KDE Plasma
Desktop.

If you build kde4-workspace WITH_PHONON_GSTREAMER, it will install
gstreamer-plugins-core for you.
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

There are no manifestos like cannon and musketry.
		-- The Duke of Wellington