[kde-freebsd] [RFC] local build of KDE4 ports fails if QT3-related software is installed

Alfred Bartsch bartsch at dssgmbh.de
Thu Jun 21 16:35:28 UTC 2012

Hi list,

every time I upgrade KDE4-related ports (recently from 4.8.3 to
4.8.4), some of these ports fail to build. A possible reason for this
behavior seems to be the simple presence of installed qt3-related
ports (including KDE3).

In case of the build errors, I finally localized some header files
with duplicate filenames in /usr/local/include and subdirectories as
the culprit in most of these cases.
The KDE4/QT4 ports do not always prefer their own header files (*.h)
during build, but try to use the QT3 ones instead, which does not work
at all (e.g. x11/kactivities).
This doesn't seem to be problematic in "clean room" build environments
like tinderbox or poudriere, but I normally have some additional
software laying around while upgrading ports.

Is anybody out there who shares similar experiences, or am I missing
something completely?

My temporary workaround to avoid these build errors:
1. upgrade the QT3 related ports
2. pkg_info -xR qt-3  (shows all QT3 related software)
3. make sure that prebuilt packages of these ports are available
4. for p in <all these ports>; do pkg_delete -f $p;done
5. perform upgrade of remaining ports, including KDE4/QT4
6. reinstall the former deleted packages + recreate some packages due
to changed dependencies
7. clean dependencies (e.g. portmaster --check-depends)

As this procedure is time-consuming and error-prone, I'm looking for
an improvement. Is there a chance for cleaning the KDE4/QT4 build
environment, so that KDE4 ports always prefer their own header files?

If this is not doable, IMHO "CONFLICTS_BUILD qt-3*" or similar should
be added to most kde4-ports, preventing them from being "accidently"
upgraded.

BTW: graphics/kdegraphics3 is marked as
CONFLICTS=    kolourpaint-[0-9]*
Reinstallation of graphics/kdegraphics3 then fails. As "pkg_add -f" is
no option for me, I removed this Makefile entry in my environment as I
see no reason for this, because kolourpaint installs completely into
/usr/local/kde4/...
Maybe I'm missing something?

- --
Regards