[kde-freebsd] Dragonplayer fails to play after KDE 4.8 upgrade

Joerg Wunsch joerg at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 20 06:28:46 UTC 2012

I've got an older Siemens Fujitsu Amilo laptop with the following
graphics board:

Chipset: "ATI Mobility Radeon X700 (M26) (PCIE)" (ChipID = 0x5653)

Ever since I upgraded this machine's KDE to 4.8, Dragonplayer fails to
play movies anymore, both from DVD or from a file.  It starts,
displays one of the first pictures from the movie, then sometimes a
stipple pattern like:

http://uriah.heep.sax.de/outgoing/dragon.png

then it goes black, and sits there.

When running Dragonplayer remotely on a network X11 display, the
display works (albeit sluggish, of course).

Mplayer works fine on that machine, both for files as well as for DVD
access (so problems with libdvdcss could be singled out), and
Dragonplayer did work on it in the past, before the most recent KDE
upgrade.

In my desparation, I removed *all* packages from /usr/local, and
reinstalled everything from scratch.  The symptoms remained.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix it?