[kde-freebsd] Akonadi/mysqld problems

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 13 02:27:59 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 12 June 2012 22:08:14 Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> Interesting. I wish I had enough time to dive into the code. I'd expect some
> kind of keep-alive if akonadi wants persistent connections, but I don't
> know enough about this type of programming.

I don't expect any, instead. Some time ago I found a bug report in which they
were discussing the wait_timeout problem, and the solution was to raise it to
365 days (I call this a hack). With a keep-alive signal they wouldn't need
such a timeout. And to think that IRC has had one for years...

By the way, I got that information from MySQL documentation:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/server-system-
variables.html#sysvar_net_read_timeout

> Cool. I found where mysql_install_database is called in the akonadi code,
> but couldn't parse it properly.

It needs --basedir=/usr/local. I'll soon have a proper fix (relative to MySQL
installation prefix).

> I have currently set net_read_timeout to 24hrs in my mysql.conf file.
> (Overkill, I know, but this way if I forget to log out to kdm overnight I
> can still get my mail in the morning.)

No need for it. As I said, net_read_timeout is completely different from
wait_timeout. What's keeping your connection active overnight is wait_timeout.
net_read_timeout (and net_write_timeout) just makes a *request* fail after N
seconds.

My guess is that, with our 30 seconds timeout, Akonadi fails to fetch
"collections" (mail folders?) and thus is unable to do anything else (while
Google contacts worked for me, as the list was successfully fetched).

I still don't understand how it was designed.

> My kdepim stuff keeps working
> brilliantly. I look forward to  it stabilizing. I think it's a definite
> improvement over kmail1.

Yes, definitely!
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?