[kde-freebsd] kmail2 disaster ... kdepim back to alpha stage?

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sun Jun 10 09:27:39 UTC 2012

On Sat, June 9, 2012 13:55, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> "JoaoBR" <joao at matik.com.br> writes:
>
>> I have no idea how some can substitute an email client with a new one,
>> when it is still not working (=unusable)
>>
>> said that, somebody has an idea what I can do?
>>
>> after upgrade to kde-4.8 from ports without particular tweaks, kmail2
>> comes up and asked for converting existing mail structure, I confirmed,
>> dialog disappeared and no further response came up
>>
>> then when I start kmail2, imap identities are visible in settings, in
>> accounts only appear local floders but with advice "No usable storage
>> location configured"
>>
>> In Kmail panels appears nothing (all white) but Local Folders
>>
>> my former kmail folders and accounts settings are in their former
>> default
>> locations under ~/.kde4/....
>
> Please note that while KMail2 does seem to have its fair share of
> problems, the descriptions you gave here are not very precise, and are
> better suited for a list read by the kdepim folks themselves (such as
> kdepim-user). And if you manage to find some reproducible bugs, please
> report them via https://bugs.kde.org

well, thanks

I remember some not so much time ago you opted for releasing the new
kdepim stuff and now that it really does not work you kick it back to the
other guys :)

Since kdepim is part of KDE I will add my opinion here, this is no
personal critic and still less an attack but certainly somewhere was lost
the connection to reality

despite all the respect to all developers with their inventions, some of
them are clearly theoretical and far away from what people really need

generally, still more valid for an exotic desktop like FreeBSD, I can not
find *ANY* good reason for why I need a Database Framework for my few
email accounts and my few appointments and my little Knote sticker ...

that is like buying a Ferrari for my 5 miles to work every day ...

and worse, now it is not enough learning to drive, no we need learn to
build the car before we are able to use it, this point is crucial and will
eventually diminish the quantity of users

It is my own choice sticking to KDE and Freebsd and nobody forced me to
but even so and again, despite all respect for developers work, even if
not paid, there is responsibility involved

email is crucial today, nobody should overwrite crucial working
applications with something raw, problematic or "with fair share of
problems" ... that is reckless and certainly not productive in any way

it also do not help solving the program problem because the user's first
problem is: he needs to email, so that he will solve it in some other way
but not waiting for developers providing whatsoever, he will look for
another program or OS

So I hope this will not be raising any rage because this is my opinion and
not a personal attack. I work in software development and know how
difficult it can be sometimes, but nevertheless, without having always the
big picture in mind, things can go out of control. As much as I like kde4
there is too much unreal stuff in it, what better would be placed into
some additional packages for whom who needs or wants it and the focus
should be a fine user desktop because a corporate desktop as goal for
FreeBSD is far off track

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team