[kde-freebsd] PrintGifError not declared in kdenetwork4 and xplanet

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 3 15:40:15 UTC 2012

Alberto Villa <avilla at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Jason E. Hale <bsdkaffee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fix for kdenetwork available in area51.
>
> ...and committed to ports.

While I really appreciate how quickly a fix was made, let me sound like
a broken record a bit and say that we should work with an "upstream
first" mindset as much as possible.

Both avilla and I (as well as others on the team) are also KDE
committers, which means we can commit to any KDE git repository, as well
as to KDE's SVN repository (which is where Kopete's code resides).

I have just committed [1] a fix upstream that should work with both
libungif/older giflib versions and giflib 4.2.0 and will now be part of
kdenetwork 4.9.0 and 4.8.4 -- if we just kept our patch in ports and
area51, other packagers would not be aware of the fix and would work on
the same problem once they updated their giflib versions.

BTW, GifError() only returns an int, so the current patch in
area51/ports is not 100% equivalent to the previous call to
PrintGifError. Since this is a patch for a corner case, I don't think we
need to bump PORTREVISION again and make everyone rebuild kdenetwork, so
I'm not changing the current patch we have applied.

But guys, please try to fix upstream before adding patches, kthxbai

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/?view=revision&revision=1298170