[kde-freebsd] kde4 related bug

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 2 18:01:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Cameron Berkenpas <cam at neo-zeon.de> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report bugs (this is my 1st
> time reporting an issue relating to FreeBSD) so feel free to direct me to
> the correct place.

It's OK. Reporting a bug would have been fine too:
http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

> I'm seeing an issue where if I drag entries from the Applications menu to
> the desktop in KDE 4.8.3 (I've seen this issue with KDE 4.7.x in FreeBSD
> too), I get an icon with an exclamation point. If I double click on the
> icon, it attempts to run the application directly from my home directory and
> I get 2 popup windows.
>
> The 1st window states:
> "This will start the program:
> /home/username/pidgin
> If you do not trust this program, click Cancel"
>
> Then when I click continue I get:
> "Unable to make the service Pidgin executable, aborting execution"
>
> Note that the exclamation point remains.
>
> I did some digging and the issue is that the icons are being created in
> /home/username/Desktop with 444 permissions (and sometimes 644). To fix the
> issue, the permissions need to be 755 (presumably 555 would work too).
>
> I found that the permissions are being copied along with the icons from
> /usr/local/share/applications/ (so my umask of 022 is ignored). All the
> icons in /usr/local/share/applications/ are 444 (except for 2 which were
> 644). I "fixed" the issue by setting the permissions of
> /usr/local/share/applications/*.desktop to 755. Now I can copy icons from
> the applications menu without issue.

This is a problem with the pidgin port (and presumably others), which
uses ${INSTALL_DATA} to install the file manually, and that doesn't
obviously add the execution bit.

> Note: Icons from other directories where the icons already have 755
> permissions work with no changes (ie
> /usr/local/kde4/share/applications/kde4).

Rules for their installation are inside the tarball, not our own.

> Not sure if the bug is that the icons under /usr/local/share/applications/
> need to be created with 755 permissions or if KDE needs to not require
> executable permissions on files it doesn't directly execute (*.desktop
> files).

I wouldn't call this a bug. Anyway, *.desktop files should probably be
installed with execution bit. KDE behaves just fine warning you with
the exclamation mark. I agree that a more useful error message could
be reported, but that's not the point here.

I'm forwarding this to desktop@ as it's something to be discussed with
other parties. kwm@, especially.

Should we use ${INSTALL_SCRIPT} for *.desktop files?
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla