[kde-freebsd] How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 22 04:56:49 UTC 2012

KDE folks .... Jason's suggestion (by private e-mail for some reason)
was that we add pkgconfig to USE_GNOME= for every port that depends on
kdelibs that doesn't already have it; since almost, if not actually all
of them are currently relying on the run-dep side effect. I can't see
any reason NOT to do this, but if you have an objection please speak up
sooner rather than later.

On 07/21/2012 21:33, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 07/21/2012 13:48, Jason E. Hale wrote:
>>
>>> IMO I don't really see what the hurry is.  This has been the behavior for
>>> years.
>>
>> Yes, and some of us have been annoyed by it for years as well. :)
>>
>> The current behavior is wrong, and becomes increasingly painful in a
>> world where most FreeBSD users are using packages because it drags in a
>> totally pointless package to essentially every FreeBSD system. Fixing
>> this bug is a good thing, and needs to be done sooner rather than later.
> <snip>
>
> It is unnecessary to be in hurry when that pkg-config has been in the
> bsd.gnome.mk for about nine years.

The sooner we start fixing it, the better off we are.

> I already have a better solution
> available for weeks. Therefore, you (and others) need to be patient
> because when I add the :build/:run dependency in the bsd.gnome.mk then
> that pkg-config runtime dependency will be re-added.

Um, yeah ... don't do that.

I mis-attributed your patch to Jason previously, sorry about that. But
before it goes in your patch should have the logic I spoke about in my
the wrong kinds of deps.

> And no I am not
> going to work on chase all ports to have the 'pkgconfig:build'
> (sorry).

Not asking you to. I'm asking you to fix your patch so that things that
should only be one kind of dep or the other (like pkgconfig, but not
necessarily limited to it) are handled properly by default if the right
:label is not attached, and error out if the wrong one is. That way the
work that's being done now to fix ports that need explicit build deps
for pkg-config will solve this part of the problem for you.

As you pointed out, the current situation has existed for a long time
already. If we have to wait another week or 2 for the pkg-config run dep
problem to be fixed properly before your patch gets committed, that's
not really a problem.

Doug

--

    Change is hard.